Sunday, November 22, 2009

Shopping sucks

Well, I just have one question...If you go and apply to work at Walmart, is it a prerequisite to be miserable if you want to be a cashier there?

Ok..let me backtrack and tell you what happened.

My mother and I went to the store to get a few things. I needed some different groceries and whatnot and she did too. So we figured we would head to Walmart because it's closer, cheaper and a necessary evil.

So, we get all of our goodies and head to the line. Now, I don't know how it is in every Walmart but the one here makes you want to punch a kitten when you go in to it. Don't get me wrong, not everyone that works there is incompetent. Actually most are just fine..but it's the few that ruin it for everyone.

That being said...we got one whopper of a cashier. Now, my mother and I were both in bad moods anyway. She didn't feel good and I was tired/cranky. You know those days where someone just looks at you and you want to be like "What are you looking at, huh? I'll cut you". That was the day we were having. So we get in line behind some old lady with oxygen sitting in her Rascal that had no clue how to use the credit card machine and couldn't comprehend when her transaction was over. Hell, she couldn't even tell when her stuff ended and mine began. It shouldn't have been so hard, I highly doubt she was buying anything with Mickey Mouse on it or anything else a 3 year old would want. She wasn't the real issue though, she's old..I get it. They woman she was with and the cashier was the problem.

The woman she was with was too busy talking about bingo with the cashier to move ahead(it was my turn) so the woman in the Rascal just stayed there. So there we are, half way down the register waiting to get up to pay..the cashier had already started ringing my stuff and they just stood there. My mother, being the ray of sunshine she was that day(it was hilarious..she was so crabby..but so wasn't I) decided to make a comment to the woman. It was something to the effect of "Come on old lady, I don't care about bingo and I don't have all day..get your Rascal moving." They didn't budge, or get the obvious hint. The cashier had to tell the woman like 3 times that this wasn't her stuff and her transaction was done. I even said like 5 times, "That's my stuff." Again..she didn't move. I was ready to hot wire her chair and push her up a little so I can pay. But no..Bingo talk was going on all while this was happening.

Finally, after about 10 minutes(I'm not kidding, it was at least 10 minutes of this) they moved up ever so slightly so I could pay and get my crap. Now, the lovely cashier was just Suzy Sunshine. She was all rainbows and candy, really...she just gave me a tooth ache because she was so sweet.

You catch that sarcasm there? Good.

She was an older lady too..and I swear I have no problems with old ladies, but these three took the cake.

Ok, as I was saying. She was the most miserable person ever. She didn't greet us, rude when she did talk, never once looked up and never told us our totals. Oh..and when I went to scan my card she was rude about the amount and said some stupid comment. So..I snapped back(because, I too can be Suzy Sunshine at times..I know, hard to believe..hehe). She was the same way with my mother when it was her turn.

Now, this is what I don't understand. If you are that unhappy working where you are or are that miserable then why are you working in retail? Retail sucks, especially big retail places because you get tons of people. Maybe she was having a bad day, fine..don't be miserable to me. I didn't take your last Ensure or make you run register. Neither my mother or my self were rude to this woman, she had no reason to be like she was. So, when we left we made sure to give her a big thank you and have a great day. I think I might have even called her Suzy Sunshine. Don't get me wrong..I don't hate older people..not at all. I just don't like rude, inconsiderable morons. Young, Old...I don't care. If you're a jerk, you're a jerk. Being young or old doesn't change that fact.

The store here in particular have a lot of cashiers like this. There is another one, she is younger..younger than me I think and she is one of the rudest people I have ever met. I want to kick her every time I get in line and she's the cashier. I usually avoid her line completely..but hers is usually the short line. With good reason too. It makes the whole experience in the store a bad one. I'm never was the world's best cashier or anything, but there is a thing called common courtesy. You are working with the public, be friendly..or at least be decent. Tell the customers their total, give them their bag, say hi...something. Don't just stand there like a miserable lump of poo. If you hate your job that much...quit or transfer to another part of the store. I have a hard enough time finding someone to actually help in the store, you can never find a worker and if you do it's "Not their department" or "Uh..I don't know". You never get a "I don't know, but I can find out for you." On a rare occasion where you do hear that...they leave, disappear and let you wait there forever..never to return.

Am I the only one that notices this? Is it only at the Walmart here? I just don't get it..they really need to up their standards on (most) employees. Again, not all of them are horrible..but for the 3 good, helpful ones you get 10 useless ones.

If you don't want to work with people, get out of retail or go work in the backroom.

There..I'm all done my rant about shopping in that store...I'm sure I will go back, again, the necessary evil thing but I will be biting my lip and hating every moment of it.

Oh and this day only got better..but that will be another post. It deserves it's own..trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment